I'm writing this just as the first rains are falling here in Serrekunda. I was woken up earlier than I had intended by the racket of what seemed like 100 small children jumping around on the tin sheet roof of our lodge, only to realize it was the first fat drops of rain to fall on this roof in nearly 9 months.
The rain has been going on for about 1.5 hrs now and has steadied into something we would expect to have in Canada, a good steady shower, but not a torrential downpour. From what I've heard talking to locals around here, this is very tame compared to what it's going to be in the next few weeks and months.
The water running off the roof is already brown in colour as it washes away all the dust and dirt on that has accumulated on the roof in the last many months. I've been told that in a few weeks, as the rains become more regular the country will transform from a dusty brown to a clean, vibrant, lively green.
To make me feel completely at home, the power just went out, likely on account of the rain, which has probably knocked out a transformer somewhere.
Hopefully it won't be out too long, so I can post this.
Miss you all,
Justin
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment