Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday, i've forgotten what it's like

I've forgotten what it's like to live in a culture that actually recognizes a day of rest. (aside of course from clean the nation day).

We had a day with no major plans today so we thought we would head to a bookstore just around the corner from our lodge. We should have realized this by now, having been here for 4 weeks already, but silly us, with our Western perspectives, didn't think about it and ventured out anyway.

Most of the shops and stores still close here on Sundays, and often close daily around 2 pm for the Muslim prayer break. It's interesting being in a culture where that desire is so ingrained in the psyche of the population.

It's refreshing to be in a population that still holds outwardly their religious beliefs and faith. I haven't ever felt while here imposed upon by someone else's beliefs and have generally (within some levels of mutual respect) been free to go about as I normally would. In Canada, faith and religion is a very private matter that is often only expressed once a week by attending church.

It's like being forced to take a slow deep breath in the middle of a quick run. While for us, it's mildly inconvenient, at the same time, it's enjoyable to be forced to take a break at least once a week.

Sometimes I feel as though we are the backwards culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment